Dewas District in Ujjain Revenue Division, is situated on
the Malwa plateau in the West-central part of Madhya Pradesh and lies between 20°17´ and
23°20´ North latitude and 75°54´ and 77°08´ East longitude. The district is bounded
by Ujjain district in the north, Indore district in the west, West-Nimar district in the
south-west, East Nimar district in the south, Hoshangabad district in the South East,
Sehore district in the east and Shajapur district in the North-East. The tropic of cancer
passes through the district near Nemawar village south of Khategaon town.
The district gets its name from the district headquarters
town, Dewas which is said to have been derived on the basis of two traditions. One is that
Dewas lies on the foot of a conical hill, known as Chamunda hill about 300 ft. above the
ground level on top of which the shrine of Chamunda is located. The image of the Goddess
is cut in rocky wall of a cave. It is, therefore, known as Devi Vashini or the Goddess's
residence. From this the name Dewas (dev-vas) seems to have been derived. The other view
of the probable origin is from the name of the founder of the village Dewasa Bania.
The present Dewas district broadly corresponds to the twin
treaty States in Malwa Political charge of the Central India Agency, divided into a Senior
and a Junior branch of the early twentieth century with some adjustments of other
territories. There were two district chief ships with separate administrations, acting
independently in most matters, sharing the same capital town of Dewas. Consequent upon the
merger of princely States and the formation of Madhya Bharat State in 1948 there was
reconstitution of boundaries and thus the district in the present form was constituted.
The reconstituted district was, however, formed by merging 242 villages of the two tahsils
of Dewas of the former Senior and Junior State, 452 villages of Sonkatch tahsil and of 99
villages of Ujjain tahsil of former Gwalior state, 99 villages of Nimanpur tahsil of
former Dhar state, one village of Jawar tahsil of former Bhopal State, and then the
existing tahsils of Kannod and Khategaon of former Holkar State. With the reorganization
of States on linguistic basis on 1st November 1956, Madhya Bharat, with other
territories got merged to form the New state of Madhya Pradesh and thus Dewas continues to
be one of the districts in it.
The district is now divided in to 9 tehsils viz. Sonkatch,
Dewas, Bagli, Kannod, Tonk-Khurd, Khategaon, Satwas, Hatpipliya and Udainagar. Dewas tehsil is situated on the
north-western part of the district, Sonkatch on the north-eastern part, Bagli on the
south, Kannod on the south-central part and Khategaon on the South-east. Weather road
connects all the tahsil head quarters. The Head-quarters of Dewas tehsil, which is also
the district headquarters, is situated on The Bombay-Agra National Highway No.3 and is
also connected by broad-gauge railway line of western Railway.